THE COTTAGE.

Station Road,
Bishop's Itchington, near Warwick.

1888

For Michael H. Lakin.

The Cottage is Voysey's first completed building.

New wing added 1900. A new port has been added to the side of the Cottage.

 

 __________________________________

 

1. Design for an unexecuted Cottage for Voysey himself ca.1885.

"This optimistic young man thought he could make a start by designing a small house for himself and his future wife;"
C.F. ANNESLEY VOYSEY, The value of hidden influences, as disclosed in the life of one ordinary man,
published in The Orchard, Number Seven Autumn 2018, p.43.

Article about the unexecuted cottage in Studio, 4, 1894, p.34 pdf

Lakin wanted a similar design.
There are two design versions, with and without half-timbering.
The version without half-timbering was chosen and the design for an unexecuted cottage had been altered.

 

Unexecuted cottage with half-timbering (c.1885).
Published in The Orchard, Number Seven Autumn 2018, p.44.

 

________________________________

 

 

c.1885, Design for a cottage for Voysey himself.

 

Link > RIBA Drawings Collection

 

Link > RIBA Drawings Collection


__________________________________________________


2. The executed Cottage for Michael H. Lakin.
Station Road,
Bishop's Itchington.

1888

Bishop's Itchington, contemporary photograph, at John Brandon-Jones, pl. B7.jpg
Bishop's Itchington,
 contemporary photograph,
 at John Brandon-Jones, pl. B7

Photograph by Ducan McNeill.jpg
Photograph by Ducan McNeill



     
Bishop's Itchington 2018, photo by Peter King (1).JPG
Bishop's Itchington 2018,
 photo by Heather Bailey
Bishop's Itchington 2018, photo by Peter King (2).JPG
Bishop's Itchington 2018,
photo by Heather Bailey
Bishop's Itchington 2018, photo by Peter King (3).JPG
Bishop's Itchington 2018,
 photo by Heather Bailey
Bishop's Itchington 2018, photo by Peter King (4).JPG
Bishop's Itchington 2018
 photo by Heather Bailey


     

     










Voysey, The Cottage, photo by The Lutyens Trust on twitter

 

 

Scetch by T. Raffles Davison.

Published in The British Architect, 7th December 1888,
and published in The Orchard, Number Seven Autumn 2018, p.45.

 

 

 

Published in The British Architect, 7th December 1888.

 

 

Published in The Open University, The British Arts and Crafts architects, fig. 13.

 

 

 

Text published in The British Architect, 7th December 1888, p.401.

  

Photographs, drawings, perspectives and other design patterns
at the Royal Institut of British Architects Drawings and Photographs Collection.
Images can be purchased.
The RIBA can supply you with conventional photographic or digital copies
of any of the images featured in RIBApix
.


Link > RIBA Drawings Collection (Voysey Images)

           

 

Description on Historic England (Images of England)

BISHOPS ITCHINGTON STATION ROAD SP35NE (East side) The Cottage 5/3 15/03/83 - II* House. 1888 and 1900 by C.F.A. Voysey, for M.H. Lakin. Roughcast brick. Concrete tile hipped roof has gables to rear and curved iron gutter brackets throughout; roughcast ridge stacks. U-plan, with wings to rear. Arts and Crafts style. 2 storeys; 6-window range. Garden front, originally entrance front has porch with battered walls and leaded lights, but no door. Leaded glazed door inside. Plain leaded painted wood mullioned windows throughout, some with tile and roughcast drip moulds. Ground floor has 5- and 3-light windows, recessed between buttresses. Large 7-light hall window to left of porch, and smaller, 6-, 2- and 3-light windows to right have transoms. 4 shallow hipped half-dormers breaking just above eaves have large 3-light windows. 2 small 2-light windows on right. Low 3-bay loggia attached at right angles on right. Left return side altered and enlarged as entrance front 1900. Four-window range. Large low projection on right has 11-light window and hipped roof. Half-glazed door in angle, of 2 x 3 panels, with adjoining single light linked to 4-light window. Large 4-light window on left. First floor has 2 more 3-light half-dormers on left, and small 4- and 3-light windows. Right return side is an irregular 4-window range. To rear: central bay window of 5 x 2 lights projects from gallery with lean-to roof. 5 and 3-light windows to left. Gabled projection in right angle, adjoining bay window, has 3-light window. 3-sided bay window with steep roof in angle between projection and right wing. Small 4-light window above. Left wing has 3-light first floor window. Right return side has half-glazed door, 3-light window, and 2 first-floor lights. Right wing has single ground floor window. Interior: entrance hall, formerly gallery, has straight flight staircase with stick balusters and moulded handrail. Brick paved floor. Window has small panels of painted glass, of ships and horsemen respectively, possibly C17 Flemish. Room to right has simple fireplace with moulded shelf and curved lining of thin bricks laid on end. Former hall has plain ceiling beams Open fireplace has moulded shelf. Fireplace of brick and edge-laid tiles has arched openings. Wide plank and batten doors with strap hinges. Scrolled twisted rod window catches. Cupboards have heart-shaped escutcheons. The Cottage is Voysey's first completed building. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.214; J. Brandon-Jones et al: C.F.A. Voysey; architect and designer pp.33 and 38).

 

 

References:

The British Architect, XXX, 1888, p. 407; XL, 1893, p. 292 (perspective sketch by T. Raffles Davison).

 The Studio, IV, 1894, p. 34.

 Country Life
, III, 1898, pp. 196-197 (designs with and without half-timbering).

Tim Benton and Sandra Millikin, The Open University, Arts: a third level course,
           
History of architecture and design 1890-1939, Units 3-4,
  
         Part four
Link > The British Arts and Crafts architects, pp. 20-46, pl. 34-82 (Voysey, Baillie Scott, Mackintosh)

 

 

> Return to Voysey Home page <

 

 

besucherzaehler-homepage.de 

 

 

https://www.Hausversicherungen.at