Prior's Field,
originally called Prior's Garth.

1900

Puttenham, near Guildford,
Surrey.

For F. H. Chambers.

 

Chambers never lived in the house. It was sold after it was built to Leonard Huxley.
His wife, Julia Huxley, converted the building in a 'High Class School for Girls' in 1901-2.

Thomas Müntzer, Voysey's pupil, designed extensions to the school in 1904.

 

 

The plans for the building are identical with an unexecuted house at Collington Avenue, Bexhill, Sussex,
for A. Barker in 1898.
RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Ground floor plan,
published in: Studio 21/1901, p. 244.
RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 


ERDGESCHOSS = GROUND FLOOR, published in: Hermann Muthesius, Das englische Haus, p.132.

DRAW.R. = DRAWING ROOM

HALLE U. ESSZ. = Halle und Esszimmer = HALL and DINING ROOM

ARB.Z = Arbeitszimmer = STUDY

WINDF. = Windfang = PORCH

FAHR. = Fahrräder = BICYCLES

W.R. = Waschraum = LAVATORY

C. = WC

VORRÄTE = STORES

GESCH. = Geschirr = DISHES

KÜCHE = KITCHEN

SPÜ.K. = Spülküche = SCULLERY

FL. = Flaschen (bottles) = LARDER

KOHL. = Kohlen = COALS

HOF = YARD

 

 

First floor plan published in: Hermann Muthesius, Das englische Haus, p.133.

SCHL. Z. = Schlafzimmer = BED ROOM
BAD = BATHROOM

 

 

Garden,
Published in: Hermann Muthesius, Das englische Haus.

 

 

Phases of construction, painted by Richard Kent, former Chairman of Prior's Field School.
Voysey's building is in red on top of the image.
Source: "Prior's Garth to Prior's Field School" by Catherine Sidwell,
in The Journal of The Voysey Society, Number Three, Autumn 2014, p. 48.
 

 

 

Published in: Hermann Muthesius, Das englische Haus, p.132.

 

 

Published in: Hermann Muthesius, Das englische Haus, p.133.

 

 

The left wing was designed by Voysey in 1900,
the right wing was designed by Thomas Müntzer, Voysey's pupil, in 1904.
Photo on www.trinity-travel.ru

 

 

The left wing was designed by Voysey in 1900,
the right wing was designed by Thomas Müntzer, Voysey's pupil, in 1904.
Photo on www.godalmingmuseum.org.uk

 

 

Photo on priorsfieldschool.net

 

 

The left wing was designed by Voysey in 1900,
the right wing was designed by Thomas Müntzer, Voysey's pupil, in 1904.

Photo on priorsfieldschool.net

 

 

The left wing was designed by Voysey in 1900,
the right wing was designed by Thomas Müntzer, Voysey's pupil, in 1904.

Photo on priorsfieldschool.net

 

 

The right wing was designed by Thomas Müntzer, Voysey's pupil, in 1904.
Photo on priorsfieldschool.net

 

 

Rear Elevation
Photo on www.priorsfieldschool.net

 

 

Rear Elevation
Photo on www.priorsfieldschool.net

 

 

Rear Elevation
Photo on www.priorsfieldschool.net

 

 

The extensions on the right were built by Thomas Müntzer in 1904.
On the left is the field wing extension built in 1988.
Photo on priorsfieldschool.net

 

 

Photographs and Drawings Courtesy of The Royal Institute of British Architects.
Photographs, drawings, perspectives and other design patterns
at the Royal Institut of British Architects Drawings and Photographs Collection.
Images can be purchased.
The RIBA can supply you with conventional photographic or digital copies
of any of the images featured in RIBApix.


Link > RIBApix (Voysey Images)

 

Link > Black & white photographs on flickr taken in 1976

 

Link > www.priorsfieldschool.net


References

The Builder's Journal & Architectural Record, XVI, 1903, B4.

"Prior's Garth to Prior's Field School" by Catherine Sidwell,
 in The Journal of The Voysey Society, Number Three, Autumn 2014, pp. 37-50.

 

 

> Return to Voysey Home page <

 

 besucherzaehler-homepage

 

 

  StatistikenAuswerten.com