THE PASTURES.

North Luffenham, Rutland,
near Stamford, Leicestershire.

1901

For Miss G. Conant.

 

1909 additions and alterations including the addition of a two-storey square bay on south elevation.

The walls are roughcast, the windows have stone dressings and the roofs are of slate.

 

Contemporary photograph (RIBA Photograps Collection)
published in Duncan Simpson, C.F.A. VOYSEY an architect of individuality, fig.36a, p.88

 

 

The Pastures, C. H. Baer, C. A. F. Voyseys Raumkunst, Moderne Bauformen, 1911
Link > RIBA

 

 

 

The Pastures, C. H. Baer, C. A. F. Voyseys Raumkunst, Moderne Bauformen, 1911
Link > RIBA

 

 

 

Contemporary photograph with the original bay on the right of the entrance bow,
published in Duncan Simpson, C.F.A. VOYSEY an architect of individuality, fig. 36b, p. 88
RIBA Photographs Collection

 

 

Perspective by H. Stevens (British Architectural Library), with the original bay on the right of the entrance bow,
published in John Brandon-Jones and others, C.F.A. Voysey : architect and designer 1857-1941, B 26, p. 51

 

 

The Pastures from the South, photo courtesy of Tim Hawkins.
The bay on the right has been modified.
Link > RIBA

 

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

The Pastures about 1910

 

 

Courtyard, photo courtesy of Tim Hawkins

 

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Pastures, North Luffenham, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Plans published in Wendy Hitchmough, C F A Voysey, p. 176.
RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

The Parlour
published in Hermann Muthesius, Landhaus und Garten, 1907,
published in Moderne Bauformen, 1911,
published in Wendy Hitchmough, C F A  Voysey, p.178

 

 

Pevsner's Leicestershire & Rutland (with Elizabeth Williamson, 1984) says:

PASTURES HOUSE, formerly The Pastures, S of this on the road to Morcott. By CFA Voysey, 1901, for Miss G Conant. A charming composition on three sides of a quadrangle. A small but spreading house. Only two reception rooms facing S but service rooms and stables, coach house, etc., in longer narrow wings to the W and N respectively. The stable range is one-storeyed, the other two have the bedrooms on the upper floor lit by dormers, weatherboarded on the W side. Close to the junction of the W and N ranges a tower with clock and bell and saddleback roof. At the R end of the N range a half-timbered gable. The S front has a sturdier picturesque irregularity. A motif which occurs here, a porch-like loggia with a wide semi-circular arch, has often been imitated later by suburban builders. To its R a deep square two-storeyed bay added in 1909 when the chimneys were faced in stone. Voysey would have preferred stone throughout but substituted render with stone window surrounds. Interior unaltered structurally (the stair with its typical screen of close-set posts and the original doors are still there) but many of the fittings have gone, eg the settles from the dining room ingle, the fireplaces with metal hoods and coloured tiles. Faintly classical features in both main rooms. The flagged paths, pergolas, and most of the yew hedges have gone from the garden Voysey designed. So has the dovecote from the service yard and a sundial (moved to Lyndon Hall).

Source: Pevsner Architectural Guides at Yale University Press.

Link > www.voyseysociety.org

 

Description on Historic England

NORTH LUFFENHAM SK 90 SW GLEBE ROAD (North Side)
6/203 Nos. 10 and 10A (The Pastures)
GV II*
House, now 2 dwellings. 1901 and 1909. By C.F.A. Voysey for Miss G. Conant. Roughcast rendered brick with buttresses, stone dressings and Collyweston slate roof with buff ridge tiles. Squared stone ridge, end and side stacks with moulded stone cornices and mostly with original chimney pots., L plan house, 1 and 2 storeys of leaded-light stone mullion windows with 1 and 1 storey stableblock wing forming a 3rd side, the whole being U plan. Entrance on inner left side. Gabled 2 storey porch-like projection with door, leaded canopy hung on iron stanchion, bull's eye window to right and 3-light over. On short sides further 2 and 1-light windows. To left of projection a gable with 3-light, 2-light and 2-light over. To right 2 2-lights both floors. On facing side 3 2-lights both floors, and on right end a staircase and bell tower with 2 : 4 : 2-light bay lighting staircase surmounted by clock face and gabled bellcote projection supported on stone corbels. Bell within. On these 2 sides a 1st floor tile ledge band. Garden front towards road an irregular composition with 2 3-lights, a 2-light mullion and transom window, and open rounded arch leading to porch with glazed door and 2-light within. Over are 2 3-light dormers and to right a gable with 1-light and 2 storey square bay, 4 : 4 : 4-lights, this the extension of 1909. Paddocks front of 3, 4, 3, 2, 2-light windows with 3 similar wooden framed dormers over, the centre one either side a stack. To right a gable with a 1-light both floors and a 2 storey bay, 1 : 3 : 1-lights. On left end of this front a 1 storey wing with 3 1-lights and a 2-light window, and extending from its left end a brick wall c2m high with stone coped pier on end and round-arched doorway with tile lintel and original door and hinges. On right side and extending from house the stable block range with double and single doors, some part-glazed, a 2 and a 3-light window, ridge stack, and timbered gable to right with loft door. Original ornamental iron gutters throughout. The house interior is little altered with slate flagged hall, the original staircases, the principal with bronze statuette on newel, doors with original locks and keys, and windows with original fittings.
Simpson, D., C.F.A. Voysey, London, 1979, p.89, 150 and pl.36. Pevsner.

 

Photographs and Drawings Courtesy of The Royal Institute of British Architects.
Photographs, drawings, perspectives and other design patterns
at the Royal Institut of British Architects Drawings and Photographs Collection.
Images can be purchased.
The RIBA can supply you with conventional photographic or digital copies
of any of the images featured in RIBApix.

Link > RIBA Drawings Collection: The Pastures images

Link > RIBA Drawings Collection: all Voysey images

 

Link > https://historicengland.org.uk

Link > Black & White Photos on flickr taken in 1976

 

References:

The Builder's Journal & Architectural Record, XVI, 1902-1903, pp. 245 & 248.

The Studio, XXXI, 1904, p. 127.

Moderne Bauformen, X, 1911, pp. 248-9.

The Architect, CII, 1919, p.352; CXVI, 1927, p. 133.

Hermann Muthesius, Landhaus und Garten, 1907, p. 81.

Duncan Simpson, C.F.A. VOYSEY an architect of individuality, London 1979.

Wendy Hitchmough, CFA  VOYSEY, London 1995, pp. 170, 176-9, 186-9.

David Cole, The Art and architecture of CFA Voysey : English pioneer modernist architect & designer, 2015.

 

> Return to Voysey Home page <

 

 

 www.besucherzaehler-homepage.de

 

 

Pflegeheimfinden.de