LITTLEHOLME.

Upper Guildown Road,
Guildford, Surrey.

c.1906-08.

For George Müntzer.

 

1909 addition of dormer-windows and rooms in roof.
1911-12 Gardener's cottage.
1925 alterations.
The main house has been divided into two.

 

 Designs for Littleholme, Upper Guildown Road, Guildford, Surrey,
                       for George Müntzer: plans, elevations and section of preliminary design II,
Link > RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Paul Klopfer, Voyseys Architektur-Idyllen, Moderne Bauformen, 1910,
(Scan by the Library of the University of Heidelberg)

 

 

Photo by Heinz Theuerkauf (1976)

 

 

Littleholme, Guildford, photo on rightmove.co.uk

 

 

Photo by Heinz Theuerkauf (1976)

 

Photo by Heinz Theuerkauf (1976)

 

Photo by Heinz Theuerkauf (1976)

 

 

Littleholme, Guildford, photo on rightmove.co.uk

 

 

Littleholme, Guildford, photo on rightmove.co.uk

 

 

Littleholme, Guildford, photo on rightmove.co.uk

 

 

Littleholme, Guildford, photo on rightmove.co.uk

 

 

Littleholme, Guildford, photo on rightmove.co.uk

 

 

Littleholme, Guildford, photo on rightmove.co.uk

 

Littleholme, Guildford, photo by Voysey Society

 

 

Garderner's Cottage, photo by Heinz Theuerkauf (1976)

 

 

Garderner's Cottage, photo by Heinz Theuerkauf (1976)

 

 

Garderner's Cottage
Link > RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Link > Black & white photos on flickr taken in 1976

 

Drawings Courtesy of The Royal Institute of British Architects.
Photographs, drawings, perspectives and other design patterns
at the Royal Institut of British Architects Drawings and Photographs Collection.
Images can be purchased.
The RIBA can supply you with conventional photographic or digital copies
of any of the images featured in RIBApix.

Link > RIBApix (Voysey Items)

 

Link > Photograph by Norman Wigg on www.imagesofengland.org.uk (with description)

Description on imagesofengland:

SU 94NE GUILDFORD UPPER GUILDOWN ROAD (South-East Side) 3/246 Nos 1, 2 and 3 13/1/72 (Littleholme) II House, now three dwellings. 1907 by C. A. Voysey for the builder and interior decorator G. Müntzer. Whitewashed roughcast with Bath stone dressings; hipped plain-tiled roofs with flat roof to left end. Two storeys, set into hillside with attic storey in large gable to right of centre. Stone-coped and rendered stacks including one cross-ridge stack to right, right of centre, at the junction with main gable, and to rear left of centre. Tile-on-edge drip courses over ground floor left and to first floor of gable. Gable projects with one 4-light leaded, stone-dressed window on the first floor under a tile-on-edge lintel and one 5-light window on the ground floor. Asymmetrical gable adjacent to larger projecting end gable with tile hung dormer between the two. Oblong attic window; 9-light mullioned and transomed window on the first floor and small square window below. Further ground floor window to right. Left hand range set back from gable with 2 windows on the first floor (1950's) and four windows below. Part-glazed door to left (No. 3), panelled door to left of main gable in corn-husk decorated surround with fluted pilaster piers, (No. 2) and flat hood on brackets above. Old main door to ground floor right of centre in the main gable. Round-arched head with large glazed roundel to upper part of door; original door furnishings survive (No. 1). Rear:- Hip-roofed projecting square bay with glazed-in sleeping balcony on the first floor to right of centre. Three hipped-roof dormers to right with roof finials. Three large first floor windows and flat-roofed wooden arbour to the ground floor. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.293.

___________________________

References

Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects
C. F. A. Voysey
by Joanna Symonds

p.25

 

                                                               p. 26

                                                                                  

 

 

The British Architect, LXVIII, 1907, pp. 5, 6 & 60; LXXVII, 1912, pp. 452 & 454; LXXVIII, 1912, p. 390.

 The Architect, LXXIX, 1908, p. 304;CI, 1919, p. 68 (photograph of stone 'Devil' bearing Voysey's features).

 G. Jekyll & L. Weaver, Gardens for Small Country Houses, 1912, pp. 76-80 & 162.

 R. Randal Phillips, The Moderne English house, 1927, p. 170.

 

 

> Return to Voysey Home page <

 

 

 besucherzaehler-homepage.de

 

 

 

  StatistikenAuswerten.com