GREYFRIARS HOUSE
 Also known as Merlshanger and Wancote.
 The Hog's Back, near Puttenham, 
 Surrey. 
1896 - 1897.

 For Julian Sturgis.

 

Various alterations and extensive additions have been made since Voysey's time.
Additions and alterations by H. Baker, 1913.

 

 

'Greyfriars' published in: The Burlington Magazine, vol. CXI, p. 42,
published in: Academy Architecture, vol. 12, 1897,
published in: Duncan Simpson, CFA VOYSEY, p. 44, fig.16,
published in: The Orchard, Number Six, Autumn 2017, p. 71.

Link > RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Ground plan and first floor plan,
published in: Academy Architecture, vol. 12, 1897,
published in: The Orchard, Number Six, Autumn 2017, p. 71.
Link >
RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Ground floor plan and south elevation of preliminary design,
Link > RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Stables and lodge, preliminery design.
Link > RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Photograph by Barrie Heptonstall, 2007

 

 

Photo by Heinz Theuerkauf, 1976

 

 

Photo taken from Muthesius, Das englische Haus, 1904

 

 

Photo on www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk

 

 

Photo www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk

 

 

Photo www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk

 

 

Photo www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk

 

 

Photo www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk

 

 

Photo www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk

 

 

 

Photo www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk

 

 

Photo www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk

 

 

Photo www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk

 

 

North side,
published in: The Architect, 1906,
published in: The Orchard, Number Six, Autumn 2017, p. 74

 

 

Photo by Heinz Theuerkauf, 1976

 

 

Photo by Heinz Theuerkauf, 1976

 

 

Photo published in: Nikolaus Pevsner, Pioneers of Modern Design

 

__________________________

 

Lodge,
Photo on rightmove.co.uk

 

 

Lodge,
Plan on rightmove.co.uk

 

________________________________________

 


Photo on www.curchods.com

 

 

Photo on www.curchods.com

 

_______________________________________________


 

Drawings Courtesy of The Royal Institute of British Architects.
Photographs, drawings, perspectives and other design patterns
at the Royal Institut of British Architects Drawings and Photographs Collection.
Images can be purchased.
The RIBA can supply you with conventional photographic or digital copies
of any of the images featured in RIBApix.

Link > RIBA (Voysey Images)

Link > RIBA (Greyfriars Images)

 

Link > www.greyfriars-weddings.co.uk
 

Link > Black & White Photos on Flickr taken in 1976
 

Link > Photograph by Paul Lyons

www.imagesofengland.org.uk (with description)

SU 94NW WANBOROUGH C.P. HOGS BACK 8/120 Greyfriars GV II* House. 1896 by C.A. Voysey for Julian Sturgis, extended to the west in 1913/14 by Herbert Baker. Whitewashed roughcast with smooth ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof swept out at eaves. 2 storeys and attic in gables and under flat lead roofed, leaded casement dormers. Multiple ridge stacks to left end, left of centre, right of centre,and right end. Tiled pentice drip-course over ground floor, deep boarded eaves. Stone dressed leaded casement fenestration. Entrance front: irregular broken roof line. Hipped 2 storey range to left 3-windows on first floor and large battering buttresses to right. Steep gable over narrow bay the other side of the buttress 2 windows on the first floor and one large mullioned and transomed window below. Taller square tower to centre with roundel window over 4 first floor windows, irregularly placed, and ground floor door. Gabled bay and wing to right with first floor windows in continuous strip, 4 windows below. Slight projection, chamfered, to right end. Main entrance to right of centre in chamfered edge, stone, recessed porch with block modillion hood. Garden front: large gable to left end with slits in apex. 3 dormer windows buttressed to right end. Irregular leaded casement fenestration, 9 windows across first floor, 7 below. 2 storey square bay to left with continuous window strip on both floors, smaller square bay to right. Single storey extension to left end. Return wall to right end with arched door giving access to service court. Interior: some fittngs survive, mainly locks and keys. Board doors. Wood and stone fireplace surrounds, coved ceilings. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971 pp 267-8)

 

Link > Photograph of Entrance Lodge and former stable block and cottage
            by
Paul Lyons, www.imagesofengland.org.uk

 

Link > Photo on flickr

 

References

The Builder's Journal & Architectural Record, IV, 1896, p. 70; VI, 1897-98, p. 333; X, 1899-1900, pp. 48 & 56.
 
Academy Architecture, 
XII, 1897, p. 37.
 
Architectural Review,
I, 1897, p. 327.

 Dekorative Kunst,
I, 1897, pp. 245 & 250.

 The British Architect,
XLIX, 1898, p. 292.

 House,
IV, 1898-99, p. 162.

 The Builder,
LXXIX, 1900, p. 192.

 W. Shaw Sparrow, The British Home of Today, 1904, p. 6.

 Hermann Muthesius, Das moderne Landhaus, 1905, pl. 145.

 The Architect, LXXVI, 1906, p. 404.

 Hermann Muthesius, Landhaus und Garten, 1907, p. 156.

 W. Shaw Sparrow, Our Homes and How to Make the Best of Them,1909, p. 100.

 David Gebhard, Charles F. A. Voysey, fig. 54.


"Recollections and reflections of an inveterate Voysey visitor, part 2", by Richard Havelock, in: The Orchard, Number Six, Autumn 2017, pp. 64-81.

 

_____________________________

 

 Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects,
      C.F.A. Voysey, by Joanna Symonds, D. C. Heath, Farnborough 1976.
RIBA Drawings Collection, p. 39:

 

_____________________________________

 

Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects,
      C.F.A. Voysey, by Joanna Symonds, D. C. Heath, Farnborough 1976.
RIBA Drawings Collection, p. 40:

 

 

 

 > Return to Voysey Home page <

 

 

 http://www.besucherzaehler-homepage.de

 

 

 

  StatistikenAuswerten.com