BROAD LEYS

 Ghyll Head, near Cartmel Fell,
 Lake Windermere, Cumbria.
 
1898-1900

 For Arthur Currer Briggs.

1899 design for a free-standing lodge. 1900 design for a gate lodge.

Broad Leys is now the Windermere Motor Boat Club.

 

 

Contemporary photo, RIBA

 

 

Image on architectdesign.blogspot.de

 

 

Image taken from an old postcard (with the original veranda)
RIBA Photographs Collection

 

 

Sketch by John Higgins

 

Image on Victoria and Albert Museum, London

 

 

Perspective > RIBA Drawings Collection

 


Text published in The British Architect, 13th October 1899, p.254.

 

 Photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

 Photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Photo by Charles Holland on fantasticjournal.blogspot.com

 

 

Photo by Charles Holland on fantasticjournal.blogspot.com

 

 

Photo by Christopher Vickers, on visitcumbria.com

 

 

Photo by Andrew Bowden on flickr

 

 

Photo Jonathan Palombo on Wikipedia

 

Photo by Jacques Lasserre on Panoramio

 

 

Broad Leys, photo flipflopnick on Panoramio, (Wikipedia)

 

 

Photo by Anna Armstrong on flickr

 

 

Photo by FFNick on Wikipedia

 

 

Originally with a veranda > RIBA Photographs Collection
Photo by Jacques Lasserre on Panoramio

 

 

 Photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 Photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

 Photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

Photo by Jacques Lasserre on Panoramio

 

 

Photo on wmbrc.com

 

 Photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

Photo in Kunst und Kunsthandwerk, VII, 1904, Heft 5, p.241

 

 

Photo by Charles Holland on fantasticjournal.blogspot.com

 

Carved ends of two beams in the hall,
generally thought to be a caricature of the client A. C. Briggs,
photo by robyneerica on flickr

 

 

Broadleys, Stairs, Photo on wmbrc.com

 

 

Photo Voysey Society, on twitter

 

Photo by robyneerica on flickr

 

 


Photo by von sfPhotocraft on flickr

Upstairs hall,
photo on www.upstagedbydesign.com 


Photo by sfPhotocraft on flickr

 

 

Photo by James on flickr



Dining room, photo published in Muthesius, Das englische Haus, p.162

 

 

Dining room,
published in Hermann Muthesius, Das englische Haus.

 

Dining room (RIBA)


Drawing room,
published in Hermann Muthesius, Das englische Haus.





Photo on wmbrc.com

 

Broad Leys, First scheme, 1898 (RIBA)

 

 

Broad Leys,
published in: Hermann Muthesius, Das englische Haus.

 

 

  

Link > RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Ground plan (RIBA)

 

First floor plan (RIBA)

 

 

Ground plan courtesy H. R. Hitchcock
on architectdesign.blogspot.de

 

Ground plan,
 published in: Herman Muthesius, Das englische Haus

 

First floor plan
published in: Hermann Muthesius,
Das englische Haus

 

 

Ground plan by Patkos Mate

 

 

First floor plan by Patkos Mate


Link > RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Link > RIBA Drawings Collection

 

 

Gate lodge (RIBA)

 

 

Gate lodge (RIBA)

 

 

Gate lodge with dovecots at the gable (RIBA)

 

 

Gate lodge, photo by James on flickr

 

 Gate lodge, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

 Gate lodge, photo courtesy of John Trotter

 

 

The entry in Pevsner's Cumbria (with Matthew Hyde, 2010) reads:

BROADLEYS, 2 m. s, just past the former Lancastrian border. By CFA Voysey, 1898-1899, in the years of his greatest success and fertility (cf Moor Crag, nearby), for Henry Currer-Briggs of Yorkshire, colliery owner. Later owned by the Milnes of Manchester, and since 1950 by the Windermere Motor Boat Racing Club [WMBRC]. Built by Pattinsons (with electric lighting), and fitted out by Simpson.

Towards the lake Broadleys is, for Voysey, unusually formal in composition, and yet not in any set symmetry. The front has three full height curved bows, the middle one with two transoms, the l and r ones representing two storeys and expressing them. Some bare wall to the r, not matched by the l. On the landward side E, it is an L with a long low service wing under a big roof. The main block has a porch and to its l, a square projection with continuous windows to the staircase. On the seldom-seen N elevation, five tiers of windows are artfully disposed to suit the interior requirements. White roughcast, green paint, unmoulded sandstone mullions and transoms, set flush with the wall, battered buttresses, iron brackets under the eaves, graded blue-green slates and big plain chimneys. A continuous dripmould of rough slate links all the windows. What is so surprising about the interior is its cosy scale. We enter into a low space which opens into the double-height hall, lit by the full height of the centre bay, and warmed by a huge walk-in fireplace – but these words imply a grandeur which is conspicuously missing; the scale is always human, even slightly dwarfish. The upstairs corridor bridges and looks down into it. Oak panelling without mouldings. At the N end is the DRAWING ROOM, now the bar, with the shallowest tiled bow for the fireplace. At the other end the DINING ROOM, with a green-tiled fireplace, and more simplified panelling. That is all; it was, after all, only a holiday home. The STAIR winds round four posts, and a decorative slatted cage of balusters with inset hearts: Voysey's signature. The upstairs rooms and corridor are very low for the date, but the roof slopes intrude nonetheless. Only four bedrooms. Three have fireplaces of narrow yellow-glazed bricks. The views from the curved bows are sensational.

LODGE. Also by Voysey. The stone is exposed, except in the gables. Dovecote in the N gable.

Source: Pevsner Architectural Guides at Yale University Press.

Link > www.voyseysociety.org

 

 

Description on Historic England
CARTMEL FELL NEWBY BRIDGE ROAD SD 39 SE (East side) 3/25 Broadleys Cottage 15.5.72
II
House. 1898-1900. By C.F.A. Voysey. Roughcast with hipped slate roof, one stack is coursed slate. One storey with attic, 3 bays. Wide eaves and raking buttresses. Windows have casements, leaded glazing with rectangular quarries; ground floor has 2:4:3-light windows. Large gabled dormer to centre bay has 4-light window. Entrance to 2nd bay has plain door with original handle with heart motifs; similar door to right return. 2 cross-axial stacks, that to right is slate. Rear has gabled central bay. 3-light window to 1st bay; 2nd bay has 2-light windows to ground floors, single light to right, possibly stair window; inserted small light to left of 1st floor window. Left return has 4-light window. Interior not inspected.

 

Photographs and Drawings Courtesy of The Royal Institute of British Architects.
Photographs, drawings, perspectives and other design patterns
at the Royal Institut of British Architects Drawings and Photographs Collection.
Images can be purchased.
The RIBA can supply you with conventional photographic or digital copies
of any of the images featured in RIBApix.

Link > RIBA Drawings Collection (Broad Leys)

Link > Previous design of Broad Leys, 1898 (not executed) RIBA

Link > RIBA Drawings Collection (Voysey Images)


Link > Black & White Photos on flickr taken in 1976

Link > www.artsandcraftsdesign.com (Photos)

Link > http://fantasticjournal.blogspot.com by Charles Holland
           Baillie-Scott's Blackwell House and CFA Voysey's Broad Leys.

Link > Photos by sfPhotocraft on flickr

Link > Images on Flickr tagged Broad Leys

Link > www.wmbrc.co.uk

 

References:

The British Architect, LI, 1899, p. 256.

 The Studio, XVI, 1899, p. 158; XXXI, 1904, p. 127.

 Builder's Journal & Architectural Record, XVI, 1902-03, p. 389; XVII, 1903, p. 29.

 Hermann Muthesius, Das englische Haus, I, 1904-05, pp. 159-164.

 The Architect, LXXIX, 1908, p. 208.

 David Gebhard, Charles F. A. Voysey, 1975, figs. 72-75.

  David Cole, 'Broad Leys, Windermere - George H Pattinson archive Collection', The Orchard (no.9, 2020), pp.22-62.

 

__________________________________

 

Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects by Joanna Symonds, p. 45:

 

 

> Return to Voysey Home page <

 

 

 besucherzaehler-homepage.de

 

 

  StatistikenAuswerten.com